top of page


Frequently Asked Questions




1) How to make a booking


You can make a booking through the contact form on the "contact" tab.


Booking conditions:
After we have received your booking, we will sent you a confirmation. You will then need to pay a deposit
of 20 % of your total cost. Full payment must be paid 3 weeks prior to your travel date. There are several ways to make the payment, we can discuss the payment options during the booking fase to see which option is most convenient for you.   


The cancellation charges:
up to 4 weeks before arrival: 10 % of your total cost
4-2 weeks before arrival: 20 % of your total cost
2 weeks-1 week before arrival: 50 % of your total cost
1 week before arrival - day of arrival: 100 % of your total cost






2) What is Amdo and Kham?


Amdo is the Tibetan name for the Tibetan areas in Gansu, Qinghai and northern Sichuan provinces.

Kham is the Tibetan name for the Tibetan areas in Sichuan, southern Gansu and eastern Tibet provinces.


3) What are the altitudes of the places we visit in Amdo, Kham and Tibet?


Xiahe 2975 m

Langmusi 3200 m

Songpan 3000 m

Lhasa 3600 m

Gyantse 3950 m

Shigatse 3900 m

Tsetang 3550 m

Sakya 4280 m

Everest Base Camp 5200 m

Rombuk 5050 m

Tingri 4390 m

Zhangmu 2300 m

Nam tso lake 4710 m

Yamdrok lake 4488 m

Lhatse 3950 m

Nyalam 3600 m


4) What is altitude sickness?


Read more here 


5) What to bring on the trip?


The type of clothing you bring depends on which parts of Tibet you are going to visit.

* Warm clothing is a must to ensure a comfortable tour. The temperatures vary greatly between morning and midday. Wearing several layers of clothing is the wise choice.

* A down coat is necessary for those who are traveling beyond Lhasa and Shigatse into more remote areas such as the Everest Camp.

* Waterproof clothing and raingear are necessarry during the wet season, which is the June and July.

* It is not common for women to wear shorts or short skirts or dresses or tank tops. it is better to avoid these kinds of clothes in Tibetan areas.

* Personal itiems such as woolen socks, long sleeve cotton or lightweight wool shirts and T-shirts.

* Warm hat, scarf and gloves

* Hiking Boots/Sturdy Sneakers

* A first aid kit including aspirin, antibiotics and AMS medication is highly recommended.

* Sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm are essential to protect you from sunburn that can easily occur at these high elevations.

* Camera, Batteries and Film/Digital Memory Cards

* In China, plugs are rated as 220V 50Hrtz. 


When you visit East China, any type of casual clothing you'd wear at home is fine.


6) Money matters


There are many ATMs in the cities and larger towns in China. The ATMs of the Bank of China and the ICBC  do accept foreign bank cards. When you go to the smaller places, take a sufficient amount of Chinese money with you since ATMs are few in the more remote areas. Credit cards are not widely accepted in China. Always make sure you have some cash with you, because sometimes they do have an ATMs but they don't work or the money inside is finished. In the cities the banks will be able to change dollars, Euros or other major currencies, in the smaller places these facilities are usually not available. Be sure to bring Chinese rmb in cash. .


7) Tibet permit


Everyone entering Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) needs to have a Tibet Travel Permit, also known as Tibet Tourism Bureau (T.T.B.) permit. You need an additional transit permit to enter certain cities within Tibet, such as Mt. Everest Base camp.  You  need a visa for the People's Republic of China as well as a passport that is valid for at least 6 months before applying for the TTB. ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY a travel agent (Nomad Travel) can arrange the Tibet permit for you.


Everyone can get a Tibet permit through a travel agency except diplomats, journalists, and government officials who should travel to Tibet under the arrangement by the Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government.


How to apply for the Tibet permit through your travel agent Nomad Travel:

1. You need to scan a copy of passport with your photo, date of issue, passport number. Make sure your passport is valid for at least the next 6 months
2. You need a scanned copy of your China Tourist Visa
3. You need an itinerary for your whole tour with all hotels booked and cofirmed and you must have a Tibetan guide with you during your sight seeing. So this part has to be arranged by Nomad Travel.


8) What are the distances in Tibet?


Lhasa-Gyantse 175 km

Gyantse-Shigatse 85 km

Shigatse-Lhasa 260 km

Shigatse-Lhatse 125 km

Shigatse-Sakya 160 km

Sakya-Mount Everest base camp 284 km

Sakya-Zhangmu 360 km

Rumbok-Mount Everest Base Camp 7 km

Mount Everest base camp-Old Tingri 60 km

Tingri-Shigatse  227 km

Shigaze-Tsetang 440 km

Tsetang-Lhasa 183 km

Nam-tso lake-Lhasa 240 km



9) On some maps you will find the Chinese names of towns/cities in Amdo and Kham, on other maps you will find the Tibetan names. Here is an overview:

Chinese name Tibetan name

Xiahe                Labrang

Langmusi        Taksen Lhamo

Hezuo              Zo

Ma'erkang       Bark(h)am

Aba                  Ngawa

Tongren           Regong

Zeku                Zekog

Rangtang        Zamtang

Kangding        Darbo

Bamei             Garthar

Baiyu               Paryuel

Ganzi               Garzê

Changdu         Qamdo

Jiangda          Jomda

Leiwuqi           Riwoqe

Naqu               Nagchu

Dege                Dêgê

bottom of page